Just got back from Ashoka Hall. The first (of hopefully not so many) oath ceremony is over. I join the nation in congratulating Dr. Manmohan Singh in winning the hearts and minds of so many people and formalizing that faith in front of millions.
Someone from the media came up to me as I was discussing something with Priyanka and asked bluntly why the "young faces" didn't figure in the list of Ministers to be sworn in. It lead me to believe there is a huge segment of the population that is wondering just that. I say to you in this blog what I told that media person - the Cabinet Ministers are chosen at the Prime Minister's discretion. We've repeatedly made that clear to everyone.
If I had to make an educated guess about why we don't see those "young faces" - and this is just my educated guess, I am in no way second guessing the Prime Minister or undermining his constitutional right to form a Cabinet that he chooses - I would say that we are going through a very difficult phase in our economy and nation building that requires not people who will learn on the job but people who can deliver. We will find other ways for the "young faces" to get the exposure required, and perhaps gradually bring them into the fold once we are more comfortable with them and our environment.
When I say "we" in the above, I mean the UPA Leadership. I, in no way, mean my Mother and I. I just needed to include that disclaimer before sparking off another controversy.
The UPA Leadership now will primarily focus on urgent matters of governance that need immediate attention and are crucial for our people. I hope we can do that without anymore "berth" distractions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment